Sunday, August 7, 2011

Time Off in NYC pt. 2

Sunset and drinks on the rooftop.

I have been in the city since Friday afternoon, and I am heading back to the trail Monday morning. I have had more good food than I can even express. This city is an amazing place to eat, but it's exponentially greater when you've been thru-hiking for 2.5 months. Friday night we ate at a pizza place and walked around the city a bit. Saturday we hit up an incredible bagel place and hung out at Luke and Jess's apartment for a while (watching LOST!).

We stopped by Luke's office to see where the magic happens and saw some more sites and the NYC farmer's market. Sunday we walked downtown all the way to the end of Manhattan and saw the Statue of Liberty, along with the financial district. New York is incredibly entertaining, but not as much as watching Gary almost fall over every time the subway lurches forward.

Gary, Jess, and Luke walking near Battery Park downtown


Gary and I discussing the current US economic crisis next to the NY Stock Exchange

This has been an incredible time off, but I am ready to tackle some more miles. Julie, my sister, and mom sent me wonderful packages of food, so I am ready to enter Connecticut in the next day or two with a well-stocked supply. The concrete jungle is infinitely different than the trail, but a break from the woods was nice. I am ready to hit New England!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Next!
    Looks like things are going well! Good to hear. I finished my section hike on August 4 in Pawling, NY. It wasn't easy to leave the trail after coming so far and feeling so good. Looking forward to finishing up the trail next year ...hopefully. Jedi was probably heading to a site near the Appalachian Trail Train Stop in NY for the night of Aug. 4. Water Boy was about 2 weeks behind with Leap Frog. Hopefully some of you will connect again. It was great hiking with you and I'll look forward to reading about the rest of your trip.
    Chef Boyardee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice. I am excited to get to NYC soon and see where Luke works. And I wanna see the rooftop where they live. Looks like a great view!

    ReplyDelete