Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Catching My Dad in New Hampshire

Hanover, NH was a great little stop on my venture north, and I would probably say it's my favorite "trail town" so far. The criteria: trail goes directly through town (check), good places to eat (check), available and free internet (check), good places to stay (double check), and friendly and helpful people (check). I was obviously pleased with the places to stay aspect as I stayed with Sally, an almost retired nurse and phenomenal watercolor painter. She cooked me dinner and a tasty blueberry pancake and eggs breakfast all from the kindness of her heart. She wouldn't even accept payment! It's really the people you remember. At least it will be for me.

The past few days have been a big haul and strain on my body. With 23, 27, and 18 mile days over the start of the Whites, I'll be the first to say...I'm tired. The rocks started to amp up again like in Pennsylvania but instead like car-sized boulders you have to climb over and around. Throw in some mud and elevation change, and you've got a pretty hard day of hiking. Mt. Moosilauke was the first above treeline peak in the Whites. It was a lot of work to get up and over but oh so worth it. There were stunning 360 views to the south and to the Whites in the north. It reminded me of the 14ers in Colorado I'd climbed...see people! The East has mountains too!

With all the hard hiking, relief was just over the next ridge. After some cell coverage issues, I finally connected with my dad! He picked me up on the side of the interstate like a homeless guy (beard and all...). We ate dinner at a great little tavern and drank dark beer in the cool mountain air on the outdoor patio. We then drove to Walmart not only buy more food than we could carry but also to find the same rednecks in a New Hampshire Walmart as in Tennessee. Tonight was spent packing, catching up, and sipping on Octoberfest. Im at mile marker 1808.5, leaving 372.5 until Mt. Katahdin in Maine, the final summit. I'm so excited for the next few days not only for the great scenery and a toned down pace but to spend some quality time my dad.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds great! I'm glad you are getting to hang out with your dad. Enjoy it! I was reading that Mark Twain quote on your right hand runner on the blog. So good! Keep rockin on your adventure! And when you finish, get to a computer so i can skype me some french fries.

    ReplyDelete