Sunday, August 21, 2011

Hanover, NH: Home of Dartmouth

The past few days of hiking through Vermont have been really pleasant with amazing spruce forests all around. The pine needles make the trail soft, almost like carpet. The trails in this state are notoriously muddy and all the rumors were true. I have been hiking in the same Merrell shoes since Pearisburg, VA...that's over 1,100 miles ago! I've been impressed with the beating they have taken, but after all this mud, it's time for a new pair.

The weather has been absolutely perfect for hiking: long sleeves at night and morning and cool air throughout the day. I couldn't ask for better. I've been listening to my iPod more than normal because I have discovered the wonderful world of podcasts. I have been listening to the Google podcast, Stuff You Should Know podcast, Muscle Balance and Function podcast...so many good ones out there. There is great free stuff to download, and I love learning about new things WHILE I'm hiking...it's brilliant.

Today was the final day of Vermont, and of course I had to leave as I entered...soaked in rain. I've been hiking more miles than average the past week or so to make it to meet my dad on Wednesday. I came into town this afternoon after hiking an exhausting up and down 25 miles. The first house on the street had a cooler of food out with a list of numbers of people to call for a place to stay!...a dream come true for a wet and tired hiker. I called Sally (not even knowing who that is) and she came and picked me up. Next thing I know, I am taking a warm shower and being fed a salad and Ravioli by a complete stranger! Apparently this town has a pretty extensive "trail angel" network. I feel very honored to be taken in my Sally tonight, and I am looking forward to a bed and a roof over my head (that isn't a shelter). Right now, I am on the Dartmouth campus using their computers, and Sally is over at the university theater seeing a film.

I am meeting my dad at Franconia Notch at the beginning of the White Mountain in NH. From Hanover, it is about 70 miles away, and I need to crunch that distance in 2.5 days. We'll see how that goes...


3 comments:

  1. Hanover is awesome! I visited Dartmouth senior year of HS on a college visit. I went to a hockey game and a toga party. Good times.

    KEEP BEASTING

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoever Sally is, I am most grateful to her and to all the others along this trail who have reached out and ministered to our son by supplying basics like a ride, a meal, a bed, or just a conversation. We are so proud of you Jeff; walking through the woods for 4 months with a smile on your face!! God has shown you many things, and you are growing in so many ways. We miss you and cannot wait until mid-September.
    Hugs, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. What your mom said. Sally sounds awesome.

    ReplyDelete