Thursday, July 7, 2011

Back to the Trail

Written on June 27th, 2011

My time off the trail has finally ended, and it has been a whirlwind
of emotion as I return to the woods. Liz and Corbin's wedding was an
absolute blast. I was so excited for them, and I was excited to see so
many friends who I haven't seen in months. Though Julie was in the
wedding party as a bridesmaid, Liz's kindness allowed Julie and I to
spend some good quality time together. The majority of my time at home
was probably spent on my front porch with friends and family. I love
the home my parents have created for us to come home to. The fridge
was stocked with fruit, milk, orange juice, and many other things I
had craved. I also had time to work on my dental applications but
didn't get them completely done. Fortunately it is almost an entirely
online process, so I will just take an afternoon off soon and finish
them up in a random town.

Coming back to the wilderness has hit me with strange emotions. It was
hard to say goodbye to Julie because this will be our longest time
apart. I won't be able to see her until I return from Maine. It was
sad and difficult to part from her, especially after an amazing week
together. I have no idea how my sister said goodbye to her boyfriend
when he left for Afghanistan for 6 months. It's just so hard to do.

I'm picking up right where I left off in Pearisburg, VA. Since I left
off at mile 627, that means I have 1554 miles to go. I have set a goal
to finish around mid-September, probably around the 15th. With a few
"zero" days built in, that put me at a daily average of around 20.5.
Based on my ability so far, I think it an attainable goal. I want to
slow down in New Hampshire when my dad comes to meet me in the White
Mountains, and I am spending some time in New York City with friends.

Here are some random photos of the trail:

Julie and I having dinner in the trail...we couldn't find a flat spot!


Blackberries under the power lines

Panorama of McAfee Knob


Keffer Oak: Largest in the South on the AT

I am currently in Waynesboro, VA and will have another blog post of the past 11 days by tomorrow (7/08) Pearisburg to Waynesboro! VA is almost done...

4 comments:

  1. Can you bring me back some of those tasty blackberries?

    ReplyDelete
  2. So awesome, man. Love the pics. I slept in the middle of the trail one time.

    Dental applications? Interesting. I'd love to hear more about that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. McAfee Knob looks awesome. It reminded me a tiny bit of House Mountain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so awesome, Jeff! I'm sure it was hard to leave, but it was so great seeing you! You'll be back before you know it. Anyway, I hope the next couple of months are amazing! I'm probably already jealous of the weather... it's so hot here.

    ReplyDelete