Friday, July 29, 2011

Onward into New Jersey

Pennsylvania is finally over along with its brutal rocky trail. It was funny to read all the shelter trail registers and see how everyone was cursing the trail in this state. The rocks didn't get terribly bad until the last 20 miles or so, but those last 20 miles took a toll on my feet.
Today I am in Delaware Water Gap, PA, and I am taking "zero" day. I haven't had a day off in 33 days, so some rest was need. I am staying in a donations hostel within a church. It really neat with the whole bottom floor committed to thru-hikers. There is a living room, bunkroom, and showers. We arrived around 4:30pm and were pleased to hear about a dinner put on by the church for hikers! I finally had some good luck in hitting one of the famous "hiker-feeds". I ate an insane amount of food, and they forced us to load up plates to go in case we were hungry later. What a blessing those people were to do that for us. We had fun eating and talking to the members about the trail experience so far.

The past week I have been hiking with Mojo, a Boston College grad who is taking a break from a few years in the financial sector (his blog is featured on the right side). We have covered some ground since meeting each other, and I was glad to have his company throughout Pennsylvania. Unfortunately, we have to split ways as his girlfriend is coming to meet him to hike, and I must bump up my miles to make it to NYC by Friday, August 5th. I love meeting people who are good hiking partners, but there is always the unfortunate part of telling them goodbye...

Delaware Water Gap is on the border of New Jersey, and I am excited about new state. These new states will start to appear more frequently as I head north through New England. I am excited about new territory, new scenery, and seeing friendly faces (Jess, Luke, and Gary in New York City!).

Here are some pictures from the past few weeks:




Two bear cubs in the tree. The mom wasn't too happy...


Mojo and I climbing out of the Lehigh Gap from Palmerton, PA



Half Way There!



Crossing the Potomac River coming out of Harper's Ferry



One of the many rock mazes in Pennsylvania



I loaded up on blackberries and wine raspberries.


2 comments:

  1. Great meeting you! Good luck on the rest of your hike....sorry for stealing Mojo from you!

    -Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. I freaking love these pics. They are all so familiar. Especially the 2nd picture. I remember that view extremely well. Loving the story you're telling. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete