Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Homeward Bound on Megabus

For the past week I have been hiking with a
really fun group of guys. "Chef-Boyardee" (aka Chef), "Waterboy",
"Jedi", and "Turbo", and we have been trucking since Damascus, VA. Chef is
from New Brunswick, Canada. Waterboy is from Fort Collins, CO, Jedi from
Alabama, and Turbo from ATL, Georgia. They are a really diverse bunch,
but we all get along really well and have fun together. Damascus to
Pearisburg was 162.5 miles, and I finished up in 7 days. Turbo was a
section hiker (just graduated from GA Tech) and wanted to go out with
a bang. He wanted to do a marathon hike, so on Wednesday we woke up
early and hiked 30.6 miles. It was a long day as you can imagine but
really fun with a good friend. I was sad to see him go on Saturday.

We passed through the Grayson Highlands State Park, a beautiful
section around Mt. Rogers. This is where ponies roam free on the
ridges. Since it's spring time, there were lots of colts out. Here is
one that wasn't more than a week old it seemed.



Right now I am on a Megabus headed from Christiansburg, VA to
Knoxville, TN. Though it seems crazy, my ticket round trip cost
$2.50. There is also free wifi and power outlets. I'm am now a huge
fan of Megabus...I think they are expanding their routes across the
eastern US.

Random Trail Facts:
Total Miles Covered- 627 miles
Longest Day- 32 miles
Shortest Day- zero (Damascus, VA)
Favorite Breakfast- "Oat Revolution: Maple Brown Sugar" Oatmeal
Favorite Lunch: whole grain bread with sliced avocado
Favorite Dinner: Knorr Sides four cheese bowtie pasta
Favorite Dessert: S'mores Poptarts
Most Craved Food: sushi, chips, milkshakes, and fresh veggies.
Longest Time Unshowered: 8 days
Most Common Snack: Snickers
Favorite Section So Far: Grayson Highlands
Number of Salamanders Seen in One Day: 58
Most Water Drunk in One Day: 1.75 gallons
Favorite Time to Hike: Morning (5:30am - 9:30am)
Nights Spent Alone: 1
Most Commonly Asked Questions: "When did you start?" and "What do you eat?"
Number of Times Been Rained On: 6 (two w/ hail)
Heaviest Item: Water!!!

I really miss driving, bathrooms, my dogs, stove tops, my family and
Julie, cheese, milk, and consistently flat ground. Luckily I will
experience all those this week while I'm at home!

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you enjoyed Grayson Highlands. I wanna see pics of your 4 friends.

    32 miles is sick. I never hiked anywhere close to that. I always hiked below 23 miles..... EXCEPT for this one time I hiked 34 miles. The day I hiked 34 miles, I ended at War Spur shelter which was just before Pearisburg. Surely you remember it. I spent the night there with Sven, Ufda, and Bloody Nose.

    How'd you like Pearisburg? Did you stay at the church hostel with that cool library in the nook?


    I like your random fact list. I like that you're eating Snickers so much, because they're so freaking yummy!

    Miss you man. See you in 3 days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome post! Love the random facts but not as much as your picture with the colt! SO stinkin cute! Surely he could have joined you for $2.50 extra! Glad you're home and we get to hear your stories in person for a few days!

    I'm going to shrink into a little stuffed animal so you can let me ride on top of your pack from one day (and far above the salamanders). Love you bro!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Next,

    Heading out tomorrow morning to reconnect with Jedi and (hopefully) Waterboy. We'll be looking for you....Hike fast! (Like you need me to tell you to do that - haha). See you down the trail.

    Chef

    ReplyDelete