Sunday, June 12, 2011

My First "Zero": Damascus, VA

Today I took my first "zero" day in Damascus, VA. This is one of those silly trail jargon words for "taking a day off." Most people have taken a few by this point, so it was time to let my body rest as well. Though I get a little restless in town for a day, it is important to get off my feet for 24 hours.

From Erwin to Damascus has been my most ambitious section yet. I left Erwin in the afternoon and could only squeeze 14 miles in before I had to bring my headlamp out. I started to climb over the top of Unaka Mountain, and I think I saw my first bear. It was just a flash of a large dark creature about 50 yards off. Larger than a deer and much darker. Definitely a bear or, of course, Bigfoot. The top of Unaka is a dense spruce forest and at dusk, the trail started to get confusing. I decided to make camp on top: my first night alone. Luckily I was tired enough to fall asleep fast. That eliminated any spookiness I probably would have experienced. The next few days were 27 miles, 23, 24, 21.5, and 19.5.

The next few days were beautiful like I talked about in my last post. Since the Roan Highlands, it has been a lot of woods hiking. I was crossing over Pond Flats in the Pond Mountain Wilderness, and a major storm rolled in. Within 10 minutes, I have my pack cover and jacket on. Then...the sky opened up. Hail started to fall, and lighting started to crack all around me. Trees started to sway wildly, and branches began crashing to the ground. I cinched my pack down and started running...actually sprinting. I knew the more I descended, the safer I would be. Luckily, it was a few miles to the bottom, and I was safe.

Damascus is a funny little town, and it's home to Trail Days, an annual reunion site for thousands of thru-hikers. I didn't go this year, but I might at some point. I have just been eating good food and relaxing. I'm staying in a hostel where many trans-American cyclist are staying. I've had some really neat conversations there. I have free wifi everywhere but no phone service. This will be my last town stop until Pearisburg, VA where I take a bus to Knoxville. I will make my way to Nashville that weekend to celebrate Liz and Corbin's wedding! It is an event I have been looking forward to for a long time, not only for Liz and Corbin but a grand reunion of friends. It will be such a change from trail life, but I'm so excited.

Sorry about my lateness in posting the mail drop. I will post another one after I get back from Nashville and will leave ample time for shipping. Also, I will upload pictures when I get around a computer. Typing on this ipod touch is more challenging than walking from Georgia to Maine!

6 comments:

  1. Sounds awesome. Roan Highlands are boss. That's where I met Sam.

    Also, yipyipyipyipyipyipyipyip

    ReplyDelete
  2. Big Foot, definitely Big Foot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So jealous! Everything sounds so awesome, even the thunderstorm. Man you are clocking some Miles!! Dad needs to kick it in high gear to hike with you. You'll have to take an easy week when he's there.

    Glad you are coming home for a few days and we get to see more pictures. Have fun and be safe! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. dude amazing! can't beleive you're a quarter done already! you're a trail animal. lightening...is...scary. glad your inspector gadget legs got you off the mountain quickly!

    Can't wait to see you in a couple weeks! body odor shalom

    The kid

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dude. I'm so excited to see you at the wedding. It actually just hailed in Nashville. I'm sitting at my computer right now editing my Colorfeels documentary and hail was pounding my roof.

    I need to figure out what I'm gonna mail you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can't wait to see you soon bro! I can't believe how fast you're hiking. 30 miles in one day is some ISH...

    ReplyDelete