Saturday, May 14, 2011

Springer Mountain, GA...Tomorrow!

The trip is finally about to begin. After months of planning, I finally leave in the morning. My brother, Brad, is driving me to Springer Mountain, GA where I will officially start my 2180 mile trek to Maine. It's actually pretty hard to describe how I feel right now. There are mixed emotions of excitement, nervousness, and everything in between. Some of you are probably thinking I am crazy for wanting to do it, and you're definitely right!

People have been asking me what I am most excited about and what I am most dreading about the trail. I'll start with the bad first. I have been dating Julie Marie Stem for two and a half years at this point. I am most certain that the hardest part of the adventure will be being away from her. She was a counselor at a camp two summers ago and was gone for around 2 months, it the was really hard to be apart. Fortunately, we actually learned a lot about each other with out time apart. Letters, phone calls, and the distance strangely brought us closer together. We are looking forward to see how the distance is will bring us together this time ("looking forward"...and dreading). Also, pooping in the woods...

I think I am most excited about getting into that rhythm of hiking and meeting new people. I considered doing another long trail, but the AT has so much tradition and fellowship; I've heard it's hard to beat.

I asked Julie almost a year and a half ago what she thought about me doing the trail, and her response was, "That'd be so great". That excitement has definitely turned to sadness as we spent out last hours together today. I am thankful to have such a great girl who is willing to sacrifice time apart from me to pursue a goal I have had since I can remember. She's...pretty cool (SNL: hilarious). Sidenote: she is actually meeting me in two weeks to hike ~35 miles of the Smokies, so it won't be too long before I see her again.

At this point, I am pretty sure I'm ready.
This photo of my pack's contents is what I am starting with. I am interested to see what I will not use and leave behind and what I am missing. Comparing this to the same photo when I am done with be very interesting.

It's late, and I just remembered I need to get directions to Springer Mountain. I should be posting...at some point. Very helpful, I know.

2 comments:

  1. Be swift, holmes. Fly as the falcon does!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's a couple of things you're missing in the picture. "Start the Machine" DVD to watch at hostels, if there is a DVD player sitting around. And you're missing a picture of JMS. JMS will have pictures of you to look at while you're away.... I think it's only fair to do the same...

    ReplyDelete