Monday, May 9, 2011

The End of an Era

The past few days I have been packing up my life in the house I have lived in for three years, the house known by many as "Kentucky". The majority of my college memories have been at that house, and it was hard to load up everything I own in my car and trailer and drive away...


I'm quite the nostalgic person, and I already miss the times in that house. Bonfires, airsoft wars, bike rides to Market Square, jamming in the basement, cooking in a kitchen full of roommates, bike rides to Island Home Park, canoeing around Island Home Airport, hanging out on the porch, having a french door separating me from good friends, Spades, Risk, and Uno, cliff jumping at Ijams quarry, running down to the Ijams boardwalk and greenway...the list is almost endless.

I am also sad to leave Knoxville in general. I personally love the city, the size, the people and the atmosphere. Everything is a 15 minute drive, the mountain are just around the corner, and lots of one-of-a-kind restaurants. I'm not really sure if my life in Knoxville is over forever though. The next few years of my life will be spend in Nashville and wherever I get into dental school, but Knoxville is not ruled out in the future. I really like the town, and I'm sad to leave.

The AT is 6 days away now...I'm starting to get anxious.

6 comments:

  1. I hear ya...I was really nostalgic about leaving Knoxville and college and college homes. It's a strange time and reality to leave all that. But I know you'll have wonderful new adventures, and I wish you the best on the AT!
    (PS. Ben just told me about your blog)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will always miss KY. It's even harder knowing that once y'all move out we won't be able to go back and just sit there. That's what I miss the most. When all of us would get food or whatever at the end of a lazy day and just sit around and talk while someone played cod. It was the greatest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Coming home from work late at night is weird now. I always look for an Xterra as I drive down the sreet, and now its gone. Sad day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is the saddest and happiest thing I've ever read. I miss KY so freaking much.

    I miss:

    running around naked in the house with glowsticks, jamming to RHCP or AAA, putting speakers up to the screen in the kitchen and listening to Sigur Ros on the front porch late at night and coming up with film ideas, sitting on a couch by a bonfire, shooting squirrels with bb guns, sitting on the toilet while Jeff or Bo or Mike take a shower/bath, taking trips to the Chapman Kroger and then coming back to KY to make Margaritas and sitting down to play COD, cliff jumping at Ijams, sitting on Miranda and throwing rocks at Rosebud.

    I don't miss:

    Rosebud.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hilarious! I hooked up a small U-Haul trailer to carry my things home just before my hike. Jeff, you are about to go on the SLOWEST COOLEST adventure of your life!

    I'm pumped!!!

    ReplyDelete