Friday, May 27, 2011

Familiar Territory: Smoky Mountains


I haven't been able to blog much so far because the town I went into had a library, but I went in on a Sunday and it was closed. Hopefully it won't always work out that way.

The trail has been pretty amazing and many things have happened since my last post. I am now in Knoxville just for the night. This was an unexpected side trip, but I hiked faster than I thought (my legs are feeling it). I had a set date to meet Julie in the Smokies but arrived early. Luckily, Bo Cox, a friend and past AT thru-hiker 2008 came to get me in the Smokies and gave me a ride here. He actually met me at the Nantahala Outdoor Center and hiked 30 miles with me a few days ago, a definite highlight of the trip.

Georgia was basically a really hilly green tunnel. Lots of trees, only a few good views, and really unexpected cold weather. I linked up with some UT guys for a few days, but my knees had enough of the downhills. I took some slow days and they continued on. Since then, I have linked up with FiveStones, another thru-hiker. He hikes about the same pace as me, so we usually see each other every night at shelters. We have set the same ending date, so I am sure I will be seeing him a lot.

I have finally left Georgia and have made it half way through the Smokies (205 mi so far). I have been caught in two rain storms (one with hail), I have seen 2 wild boar, one billion grasshoppers, a deer eating leaves literally right next to me at 3 in the morning, a few snakes, an earthworm that measured 16 inches long in the Smokies, and I have yet to have a night where I have camped alone. My lowest mileage in a day has been 11.6, and my highest was 22.5.

For those who are curious, here is an example of an AT shelter (a Smokies one).
Nothing really too special, but they keep the weather out. You have to pay attention to hanging up your food, or the ninja mice will find a way into it.

Julie and I are headed out to where I left off in the Smokies, and she is hiking to Hot Springs, NC with me (about 70 miles). We just got back from the store with tons of food, and I am interested to see if it will fit into our packs. Being in familiar territory is nice. I'm glad my legs could get a rest in Knoxville tonight. An actualmattress and warm shower will never be taken for granted again. Also, I need to convince Taco Bell to deliver on the trail!

As for the trail name, it has yet to be born. I have had a few offers, but none of them have stuck. We'll see what it becomes soon.

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad you and julie get to hike for a bit:) i know that will be fun. Enjoy reading your blog Jeff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I watched about 4 episodes of man vs. wild today on netflix. there was one part in between all the helicopter jumping and snake-skinning and ice-fishing when he was just sitting around making some spruce tea over a fire. Mmmmmmmaaaaaaan, I wanna do some backpacking! Can you do some for me?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry it's taken me so long to read all of your posts. I was absolutely awful at following Sam's blog when he was on the trail. So I made a pact with myself to follow yours better. Starting...... now!


    I am excited to see what your trail name becomes. I loved having a trail name. It just makes the A.T. experience seem so much more of a world all its own.... and yes... mice got into my pack once because I accidentally fell asleep when I got to the shelter without putting my pack up. Don't make the mistake I made... your stomach will regret it very much so.

    ReplyDelete