Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Vango & Abby's Memorial Hostel

The past few days of hiking have had the most amazing scenery thus far. Yesterday and today I passed over the Highlands of Roan. This area of Tennessee/North Carolina really is some of the most beautiful scenery. I am so sad I had never been there before. It is so close to Knoxville, yet I never really took the time to look into it. Here is a photo from one of the bald there. I was walking over grassy ridges and balds for miles and could see mountain ranges far off in the distance. It was truly amazing and reminded me of my trips to Alaska. I would upload my own pictures, but this bandwidth is really limited.

I didn't think I would be able to get online until Damascus on Saturday, but I have come upon a pleasant surprise...today I was hiking and was pushing for 26 miles, but I looked in my guidebook and saw a hostel just up the trail. I had already done 20 something the day before, so I wasn't really feeling 6 more miles today. Plus it looks like a storm is rolling in. I followed a side trail off the AT for about 0.3 mi down to a nice cabin in a pine grove. I am here by myself, but I think others may show up. It's pretty neat here. There are a couple computers with internet, bunk beds, a fridge, stove tops, and a great porch looking out into the valley. There is no caretaker here, but a donation box is sitting on the desk. I'm guessing an old thru-hiker built it and allows us to come and go as we please. That is kinda the spirit out here anyway. Everyone has an unsaid trust between each other, and strangers turn into friends really fast.

While hiking today, I was thinking about the ground I have covered so far. Starting at Springer seems like forever ago. Even crossing into NC seems like months ago, and I am still in the same state (or TN: I have crossed the state line so many times, I am never really sure). Some days are just a blur, and I have crystal clear memories of others. It's strange how the mind picks out certain moments and stores that memory so clearly. I hope that happens a lot while I am out here. I am keeping a daily journal too. It will be fun to read in the years to come.

4 comments:

  1. Jeff,
    It is always a nice surprise to open the blog and see a new post. I do love that the AT is a sub-culture all of its own: open cabins and shelters, internet, stoves, and lots of trust and nods.
    You sound great. I can really hear your appreciation of every moment in the words you write. We are so proud of you. MOM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeff,

    Sounds like you are about through the worst aches and pains part of your hike, and you are making great time. I feel for you with the recent heat wave, but maybe the mountains are a small buffer to some of that. Great posts, keep up the great work with sharing on your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeff,

    I am enjoying the blog and living vicariously through it. It's the weirdest thing, I thought I had remembered you saying you were going to leave the first week of June and had planned to hike the 66 or so miles on the Smokies with you but I gapped out and missed you. I missed the mail drop in Damascus but be sure to put the next one on here.

    Love you man, keep working hard!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yea, what alex said... put the next mail drop up and the date you'll be at that mail drop. I would like to participate in this whole "communication" thing as much as I can.

    The last paragraph you write in this post really got to me.... it made me extremely sentimental of my time on the trail. I know what you mean with that whole unsaid "trust" between everyone. I learned a lot from that experience. You're gonna grow to really appreciate mankind much more than you were serving tables!!!

    ReplyDelete