Thursday, June 2, 2011

Hot Springs, North Carolina

Right now I am sitting in the Hot Springs library after a good breakfast at Smoky's Diner. Julie and I just finished out our 67.1 mile journey from Newfound Gap in the Smoky Mountains to Hot Springs, NC in five days. What a journey! I loved having my favorite hiking partner with me. She is a really strong hiker and sometimes I had to catch up to her. One day we hiked 17.5 miles, and she said she was okay to keep going! Throughout the 5 days, she never even developed a serious blister. Now that is the mark of a hardened runner. I wish I could have her feet!

We started at Newfound Gap, which is about halfway through the Smokies. The Smokies section was really fun with lots of good views and even the remains of an old fighter plane crash. The third day we descended out of the Smokies which ended at I-40 and parallels with the Pigeon River (an oasis for the sweaty hikers that we were...). We immediately got into the freezing water to cool off and had lunch on a big rock. It was indescribably refreshing. Unfortunately, that feeling left us within 2 minutes as we crossed under I-40 and began the grueling ascent up Snowbird Mountain. We passed over it and Max Patch which were both so beautiful! Here is a photo of Julie and me another hiker took of us on Max Patch during our lunch break.
We arrived in Hot Springs together and met her parents for lunch. Hot Springs is a small trail town, and the AT literally passed through the main street. I stayed at "Elmer's Sunnybank Hostel" last night, an old Victorian house build in the 1840s. The house was full of thru-hikers, and we all ate dinner and went out for a beer last night. Those are the moments I will remember.

My sister asked me to write about the details of my day on the trail. I usually get up around 6:30-7:00 and hit the trail by 8:00am. I do oatmeal, dry cereal, and granola bars for breakfast. I usually push it until lunch and take a 45 minute break. Lunch is usually tuna, crackers, and lots of snacking. Depending on the terrain, I will hike until I reach a shelter or until I am tired. Dinner is Knorr sides, the occasional Backpacker Pantry meal (freeze dried stuff), and powdered potatoes (Idahoan). Most things actually taste really good out in the woods. I get a lot of high calorie foods because I burn so many during the day. Sweet things and salty things are the best.

I now have a trail name. It was born when Julie and I were talking about the idea of "thru-hiking". As hikers, we are always talking about the next shelter, the next stream, the next view, state, or road crossing. Thus, "NEXT" has become my name. It is also a reminder to enjoy the moments I am presently experiencing...to enjoy the journey as it comes.

My next town is the bustling metropolis of Erwin, TN. I am shooting to arrive there within 4 days or so. I will have a list of mail drops on my next post.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update! Love the pics! That hostel looks awesome! Sounds like you and Julie had an awesome time. Love your updates! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading about the daily life of a "thru-hiker", but I must say that the above hostel makes even your MOTHER want to be a "thru-hiker".

    Hugs,

    MOM

    ReplyDelete
  3. NEXT!! Awesome photos dude! Sunnybanks looks like a cool place. Glad to read about you truckin' right along. Sounds like you've already caught up to the pack...BEAST! Loving the posts, miss you brotha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jeff, please mail me!!! I live alone now! 3810 Nebraska Avenue, Nashville, TN 37209.


    And NEXT! I love the name. It's very hip! tee hee jk rowlings


    And please don't start saying "next" all the time in your posts or I'll saw your leg off! jk tee hee rolwings.


    I'm loving your blog, man. I know everyone says that... but it's my favorite form of escapism right now.

    ReplyDelete