Saturday, July 3, 2010

America's Long Trails


I've always wanted to do one of America's National Scenic Trails, but the weird thing is there are too many to choice from. Not only does America have its list of National Scenic Trails, but we have many long trails that curve their way all across the American landscape. I've always been drawn to what is known as the "Triple Crown" (AT, PCT, CDT) because they are the most well known, they have good "trail comradery", and they each tour diverse and beautiful section of the country. Initially, I wanted to do that Continental Divide Trail because of its scenery, length, and remoteness, but now I'm pretty much set on the AT. Though I want to do more long trails, I think the AT is a great first one (or only one) because of the experience of the trail itself. Sam is hiking the AT right now, and hearing about his experiences is what draws me in. Though the CDT and PCT are probably overall more stunning and beautiful, the AT is known for its people and tradition. From what I've seen, the scenery is still amazing and the landscape changes from state to state. I'm planning on heading out on March 1st, 2011. I just have to finish school, and secure post-trail plans...

No comments:

Post a Comment